Thursday, September 22, 2016

Ted Chiang: science fiction without end

I had no idea who Ted Chiang was until I saw trailer for "Arrival". It appears that this new science fiction movie is based on short novel by this author. 

So, I decided to have a look at the actual novel to see how closely it will match to what's is going in the movie. I ended up with this book that contains both "Arrival" (whose actual book title is "stories of you life") novel and others.

I was initially impressed by author's unique intellectual approach to science fiction. His writing style is excellent. However, most of the short novels ended abruptly leaving me a little bit confused. It feels if when the author's imagination reaches its limit he stops his novels.

My personal favorite short novel was about "lookism". It was, I think, only short story that naturally developed from A to Z.

posted by David Usharauli   

No comments:

Post a Comment