Wednesday, February 3, 2016

My review of Dennis Meredith's "Explaining Research: How to Reach Key Audiences to Advance Your Work"

Few weeks back I was browsing through journal Nature and came across a short review of newly published book that is about science communication. There, the reviewer concluded that while that new book was of decent quality, it was not as solid as other books, mentioning as an example book by Dennis Meredith's "Explaining Research: How to Reach Key Audiences to Advance Your Work"    
I am interested in science communications. For me, science communication means the following: a scientist reads interesting paper in professional journal. He/she can understand that the results described in paper can have important implications in medicine (for example). He/she digests this paper and communicates it to public in such a way that lay-person reading it can more or less understand it (mostly via blogging). I also believe that if paper has some major shortcomings that could undermine its conclusions, it must be noted in this public "communication". 

So, I thought I may benefit by reading this more "solid" book according to that reviewer. I thought I might learn how to improve my written language and communication style to attract larger audience. 

But this book provided none of the useful tips that could have improved my science blogging experience. Actually, this book by Dennis Meredith is primarily for people who want to work as a public information officer for any public or private organization. Basically it is book for agency public relation bureaucrat. It is filled with common "wisdoms", mostly how to avoid mistakes when communicating for the agency/Institution. Not what I expected based on its title.

posted by David Usharauli       

No comments:

Post a Comment