Saturday, February 13, 2016

1632: a silly time travel novel set in Germany during Thirty Years' war

I am not sure how I ended up reading this book. One website said it was among top 25 time travel books to read. So I started to read.  

Basically, this novel is about modern town in West Virginia that suddenly becomes "transplanted" in Germany of 1632 during their brutal Thirty Years religious war (war between Catholic and Protestant states).  

Now, idea sounds kind of interesting and initially there are few episodes in the book that are quite serious, especially brutality of religious wars and total disregard to human dignity during times of war. 

But overall, novel is too much of Young Adult fantasy about relationships between woman and man, who are falling in love with each other within few minutes of encounter.  

I stopped reading it when I was around halfway through.

posted by David Usharauli

No comments:

Post a Comment